ODC’s Prevocational Accelerated Career Enhancement service, or PACE, assists individuals as they move toward their goal of community employment. Utilizing an online, evidence-based assessment tool created by Conover Company, individuals gain confidence and overcome barriers to community employment by identifying their strengths and skills, and discovering their options.
Research shows that 15% of workers’ success is determined by what they know (hard skills); the other 85% is determined by soft skills. Skills to Pay the Bills, created by the Department of Labor, and Workplace Readiness, created by Conover Company, are both ODC instructor-led and have components that address these skills.
Upon completion, a Credential Certificate is printed, and can be added to the individual’s resume.
In partnership with Weiler Convenience Stores, Mid-State Technical College, Inclusa and the Department of Workforce Development - Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), ODC offers a Retail Helper Certificate of Competency to individuals who successfully complete a training program that includes the essential functions of a retail industry position: inventory management, stocking, customer service and store maintenance.
ODC’s Center-Based Prevocational Training service provides a blend of learning and work experiences that prepare individuals to achieve their personal goals, including community employment.
The Beginnings service provides training, support and guidance that assists individuals with significant behavioral or medical challenges in adjusting to a social environment. Participants become familiar with ODC’s centers at their own pace, and are introduced to basic work expectations such as working with others, following direction, and adjusting to the activity of the work environment. ODC staff provide the assistance needed for individuals to be as independent as possible while having personal care, behavioral support and mobility needs met.
As individuals adjust to the routine and expectations of the ODC center environment, they begin to take on new tasks and challenges with the full support of ODC staff.